Now Accepting New Clients!

DIVORCE 40: What does a court-appointed guardian ad litem (GAL) do?

In this case, the parties divorced by consent judgment in February 2018. Under the divorce judgment, the parties shared joint legal custody and plaintiff had primary physical custody of their minor child, who has special needs.

In the divorce judgment, the parties agreed that if either relocated closer in distance to the other, such a move would constitute sufficient proper cause or change of circumstances for a party to petition the court to revisit the custody and parenting-time schedule.

By January 2019, plaintiff had moved closer to defendant. In March 2019, defendant filed a motion requesting a modification of custody, parenting time, and school for the minor child.

Guardian Ad Litem (GAL)

The court-appointed guardian ad litem (GAL) testified that she investigated the case and believed that plaintiff had withheld defendant’s parenting time, and that plaintiff had a history of impeding the relationship between the child and defendant.

The GAL also testified that the child was aggressive toward plaintiff and toward children at school, and that the child regressed into a baby-like state when he was with plaintiff. Plaintiff agreed that she had had some issues controlling the child. The GAL testified that the child did not have the same behavioral issues when with defendant.

The GAL was also concerned that plaintiff made unilateral decisions despite the fact that the parties shared joint legal custody. She recommended that the parties share both joint legal and physical custody, and that the child live with defendant during the school year instead of with plaintiff.

Court Decision

On the basis of the parties’ stipulation in the judgment of divorce and plaintiff’s move, the court found that defendant had established the proper cause or change of circumstances required to bring a motion for change of custody and parenting time.

The court found that an established custodial environment existed with both parties and that defendant proved by clear and convincing evidence that a change in physical custody was in the child’s best interests. Accordingly, the trial court granted defendant’s motion and ordered that the parties share joint legal and physical custody and that the child would live primarily with defendant during the school year.

Child Custody Agreements

Aldrich Legal Services assists parents with all types of child custody matters, including, relocation, petitioning for or contesting modifications, enforcing child support orders and negotiating child support agreements.

If you are going through a divorce or are separating from the mother or father of your children, it is important to protect your custodial rights.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

Speak to a Pro: (734) 404-3000

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

The benefits of home health care providers

Originally posted on 03/22/2017 As we get older or suffer an injury, we need a little extra help. Home health care providers or caregivers can provide the assistance needed to handle your or your loved one's health and safety...

What to know about bail conditions

Originally posted on 03/06/2017 If you have been arrested and are being held on the suspicion that you have committed a particular crime, chances are that the only thing you are thinking about is getting out of jail as soon as possible and...

College students and estate planning

Originally posted on 12/16/2016 With college semesters starting up in Michigan, it may not be so easy to get college students to think responsibly. This time can be especially tough with the need of moving back to school and getting...

Three reasons to put a power of attorney in place

Originally posted on 11/08/2016 While no one wants to think of the unfortunate possibility of being incapacitated or of a time when we can't handle our own affairs, this circumstance is a real possibility. If something happens and this...

How to approach parents about estate planning

Originally posted on 12/09/2016 Family forms a strong foundation for many people's first and most intimate community. It is important to strengthen these first relationships so even uncommon questions become natural. For those...

PROBATE 44: Petition for Mental Health Treatment

Michigan’s Mental Health Code governs the civil admission and discharge procedures for a person with a mental illness. Specifically, MCL 330.1434 sets forth the procedure and content requirements for a petition for mental health treatment.

Should you get your criminal record expunged?

Originally posted on 04/12/2017 If you have been convicted of a crime, have served your sentence, and have followed all court recommendations, you should be able to put your past behind you and move on with life. Moving forward is critical...

Choosing the right executor for an estate

Originally posted on 05/28/2017 When people are thinking about planning their estate, they often think about trying to minimize the estate tax, keeping their will updated, and keeping items out of probate court; however, there is another...

Understanding how the Miranda warning works

Originally posted on 11/25/2016 Michigan residents who have seen television police shows or movies involving law enforcement have no doubt watched many dramatic scenes with officers quoting something to the effect of, "You have the...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000