There has been a new law regarding expungements for the state of Michigan.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed legislation that expands the criteria for expungements related to traffic offenses, marijuana convictions, and minor crimes, even making some offenses eligible for automatic expungement. The effort is to simplify and expand existing expungement laws to make it easier to remove certain felonies and misdemeanors from their record.
The New Expungement Laws in Michigan
The new expungement laws will help those that may have committed a marijuana offense after December 6, 2018. This date is significant because this was when recreational marijuana use became legal in the state of Michigan for adults. Having these records expunged will help those that are trying to gain employment or housing.
The Most Important Things to Know About the New Expungement Laws
The outline of the new House Bill are as follows:
- Creates an automatic process for setting aside eligible misdemeanors after seven years and eligible non-assaultive felonies after 10 years.
- Expands the number and revises the types of felonies and misdemeanors eligible to be set aside by application.
- Revises the waiting periods before being eligible to apply.
- Treat multiple felonies or misdemeanor offenses arising from the same transaction as a single felony or misdemeanor conviction, provided the offenses happened within 24 hours of one another and are not assaultive crimes, or involves possession or use of a dangerous weapon, or is a crime that carries penalty of 10 or more years in prison.
- Expands expungement eligibility to various traffic offenses.
- Allow a person to petition to set aside one or more marijuana offenses if the offense would not have been a crime if committed after the use of recreational marijuana by adults became legal in the state.
If you fall into these expungement law updates and believe you could have your Marijuana violations expunged from your record, please contact us today to discuss your case.
Get Help with Your Expungement Legal Case
Expungement laws have changed in ways that will benefit Michigan citizens who hope to move on from their past. These laws can be difficult to understand without the right training. The expungement experts at Aldrich Legal Services can help you get the best outcome for your case. Give us a call today to set an appointment.