Now Accepting New Clients!

REAL ESTATE 76: The trial court held that the First Amendment violated the Master Deed.

This case concerns a condominium project, its governing documents, and attempted amendments thereto. The Master Deed provides that a Co-owner may lease his Unit and the Developer may lease any number of Units in the Condominium in its discretion without approval by the Association and the Master Deed shall not be amended nor shall the provisions thereof be modified without the written consent of the Developer.

Amendment to Bylaws

In 2018, the Association voted on a proposed First Amendment to the Master Deed that would amend Section 2 of the Bylaws to provide, in relevant part, A Co-owner may only lease a Unit if the Co-owner has obtained the Board of Director’s prior written approval.

The First Amendment was ratified by the requisite two-thirds of Association voters and was recorded with the Wayne County Register of Deeds in October 2018. Plaintiff did not approve the First Amendment.

Developer Consent

Plaintiff sued defendant that month, alleging that at the time it made its purchase in 2013, it anticipated possibly building the 39 units to lease but that it now could not do so under the First Amendment to Section 2. That is, according to plaintiff, while it could still actually build the 39 units, doing so would be futile because it would be unable to lease more than one of them under the First Amendment.2 Plaintiff then filed this lawsuit, alleging in Count I that defendant breached the Master Deed by amending the Bylaws without its written consent and that it was damaged by the ongoing loss of anticipated lease revenue.

The parties filed competing motions for summary disposition.

Trial Court

The trial court held that the First Amendment violated the Master Deed because the Bylaws provided that the Developer may lease any number of Units in the Condominium, the Master Deed provides that the Master Deed may not be amended without the written consent of the Developer, and defendant purported to amend the Bylaws without obtaining the written consent of plaintiff.

Assistance With Real Estate Litigation

If you are facing a residential or commercial real estate, seek the advice of an experienced and skilled real estate litigation attorney at Aldrich Legal Services in Plymouth.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

Speak to a Pro: (734) 404-3000

PROBATE 51: Trust filed a petition to determine title to credit union account.

The probate court explained that the owners of the account are S and J. When S passes, J becomes the owner of the account. J is the one who had the authority to make the designation. Nowhere in any documents is there a designation by J that SJ be the owner -- or the beneficiary of the account. The designation made by his father was no longer binding because he was no longer the owner at the time J passed away.

Invoking Your Right to Remain Silent

Originally posted on 07/19/2017 While the “right to remain silent” represents one of your most inalienable rights, many people have a few misconceptions about how it works. Many people receive their understanding of this...

Arrests made by tracking cell phones may be illegal

Originally posted on 02/10/2017 Law enforcement agencies are always looking for an edge in fighting crime. As cell phones have become an indispensable part of life for many people, authorities have taken to using these devices to track...

Could I lose my job over a drunk driving arrest?

Originally posted on 01/20/2017 When potential clients ask us questions about criminal defense representation (particularly for drunk driving offenses) one of the most common is whether they will lose their job.  Naturally, this...

FAMILY LAW 77: Court awarded plaintiff sole legal custody; defendant was unwilling to work with plaintiff.

For joint custody to work, parents must be able to agree with each other on basic issues in child rearing including health care, religion, education, day to day decision making and discipline and they must be willing to cooperate with each other in joint decision making. If two equally capable parents are unable to cooperate and to agree generally concerning important decisions affecting the welfare of their children, the court has no alternative but to determine which parent shall have sole custody of the children.

CRIMINAL 19: Sentencing guidelines are advisory.

The sentencing guidelines are advisory, and although a trial court must determine the applicable guidelines range and take it into account when imposing a sentence, the court is not required to sentence a defendant within that range.

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

The benefits of home health care providers

Originally posted on 03/22/2017 As we get older or suffer an injury, we need a little extra help. Home health care providers or caregivers can provide the assistance needed to handle your or your loved one's health and safety...

What to know about bail conditions

Originally posted on 03/06/2017 If you have been arrested and are being held on the suspicion that you have committed a particular crime, chances are that the only thing you are thinking about is getting out of jail as soon as possible and...

College students and estate planning

Originally posted on 12/16/2016 With college semesters starting up in Michigan, it may not be so easy to get college students to think responsibly. This time can be especially tough with the need of moving back to school and getting...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000