Now Accepting New Clients!

REAL ESTATE 78: Nuisance action filed against neighbor for drainage issue.

This dispute between neighbors deals with drainage. Both sides complain that surface water pools on their land and that the opposing party is responsible.

Nuisance Action

The T Family own a farm next to B’s home. In approximately 1970, drainage swales were installed to allow water flowing on the farm property to drain into a ditch. In 2015, B built a garage and according to the T Family, filled in a swale. Water began to back up onto the T Family’ farmland. Two years later, the T Family filed this nuisance action.

B counterclaimed, asserting that the T Family’ removal of a stand of trees caused water from the farm to flow onto his property, creating a nuisance.


After a three-day trial, the jury found that B had created a condition on his property that interfered with the T Family’s ability to use and enjoy their property. The jury returned a verdict in favor of the T Family on their claim for nuisance.  The jury returned a verdict of no cause of action on B’s counterclaim. The trial court was then obligated to fashion an appropriate remedy to abate the nuisance.


After considering competing proposals to abate the nuisance, the trial court adopted the recommendations of the T Family’s expert. The trial court’s order directed B to within 90 days, either install a swale, restore his back yard to pre-construction conditions, and plug or remove his drain tiles or pay to have the work done. The swale must be dug to the size and grade recommended by [the T Family’s expert.

After hearing from experts, the trial court crafted a remedy that would abate the nuisance while minimizing B’s costs and preserving his garage. The court did not require him to build a pond in violation of the township’s zoning ordinance, and defense counsel acknowledged that the township would permit B to comply with the court’s order.

Assistance with Neighbor Disputes

If you are facing a residential real estate dispute, seek the advice of an experienced and skilled real estate litigation attorney. When the parties are unable to reach an agreement, Aldrich Legal Services can help resolve disputes in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

Speak to a Pro: (734) 404-3000

PROBATE 51: Trust filed a petition to determine title to credit union account.

The probate court explained that the owners of the account are S and J. When S passes, J becomes the owner of the account. J is the one who had the authority to make the designation. Nowhere in any documents is there a designation by J that SJ be the owner -- or the beneficiary of the account. The designation made by his father was no longer binding because he was no longer the owner at the time J passed away.

Invoking Your Right to Remain Silent

Originally posted on 07/19/2017 While the “right to remain silent” represents one of your most inalienable rights, many people have a few misconceptions about how it works. Many people receive their understanding of this...

Arrests made by tracking cell phones may be illegal

Originally posted on 02/10/2017 Law enforcement agencies are always looking for an edge in fighting crime. As cell phones have become an indispensable part of life for many people, authorities have taken to using these devices to track...

Could I lose my job over a drunk driving arrest?

Originally posted on 01/20/2017 When potential clients ask us questions about criminal defense representation (particularly for drunk driving offenses) one of the most common is whether they will lose their job.  Naturally, this...

FAMILY LAW 77: Court awarded plaintiff sole legal custody; defendant was unwilling to work with plaintiff.

For joint custody to work, parents must be able to agree with each other on basic issues in child rearing including health care, religion, education, day to day decision making and discipline and they must be willing to cooperate with each other in joint decision making. If two equally capable parents are unable to cooperate and to agree generally concerning important decisions affecting the welfare of their children, the court has no alternative but to determine which parent shall have sole custody of the children.

CRIMINAL 19: Sentencing guidelines are advisory.

The sentencing guidelines are advisory, and although a trial court must determine the applicable guidelines range and take it into account when imposing a sentence, the court is not required to sentence a defendant within that range.

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

The benefits of home health care providers

Originally posted on 03/22/2017 As we get older or suffer an injury, we need a little extra help. Home health care providers or caregivers can provide the assistance needed to handle your or your loved one's health and safety...

What to know about bail conditions

Originally posted on 03/06/2017 If you have been arrested and are being held on the suspicion that you have committed a particular crime, chances are that the only thing you are thinking about is getting out of jail as soon as possible and...

College students and estate planning

Originally posted on 12/16/2016 With college semesters starting up in Michigan, it may not be so easy to get college students to think responsibly. This time can be especially tough with the need of moving back to school and getting...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000