Now Accepting New Clients!

The Steps of Construction Litigation

Most contracting agreements move forward without any problems, but when disputes between contracting parties come up, it can be confusing to understand the legal process to take. The legal experts at Aldrich Legal Services want to make the experience as straightforward as possible, so we put together a list of steps to expect during the construction litigation process. Keep reading to learn more about the process and how we can help you seek the justice you seek. 

Step 1: Case Investigations

An attorney does a case investigation to decide if there is enough evidence to file or defend a lawsuit. A good attorney will track down witnesses, detail their testimony, and explore all aspects of the events that led to the disputed situation.

Step 2: Pleadings

The pleadings will depend on whether the client is the plaintiff, the party bringing the suit, or the defendant, the accused party. An attorney working on the side of the plaintiff could draft summons, whereas when on the defense side and attorney would focus on forming responses to allegations.

Step 3: Discovery

Discovery is the time for both parties to exchange relevant information. Your attorney will use this opportunity to note any issues ahead of time and begin to construct a strategy. For each side to gain the information, they would need to follow a form of discovery including requests for production or admission, depositions, motions to compel, and more.

Step 4: Pre-Trial

Most cases resolve without going to court. If two parties cannot come to an understanding, a trial becomes necessary. The pre-trial phase launches from discovery into new territory, including developing a trial strategy based on the evidence gained during discovery and retaining expert witnesses. 

Step 5: Trial

When the trial begins, the planning should be done, and your construction litigation attorney will execute their strategy. Most of the actions your lawyer does at this point take place in the courtroom, but there are still points of preparation. This phase has an attorney preparing witnesses to provide testimony, develop persuasive arguments to present evidence, present opening and closing statements, examine and cross-examine witnesses, and argue trial motions. 

Step 6: Settlement

A settlement can be given at any point of the litigation process, effectively ending the original proceedings. Each party will conduct negotiations and possibly enter alternative dispute resolution methods to reach agreements or confirm releases. 

Step 7: Appeal

If a positive outcome from trial does not occur, your attorney may recommend an appeal. During the appeals process, your attorney may identify issues for appeal, gather additional evidence, draft new documents, present oral arguments before the court. 

The experienced attorneys at Aldrich Legal Services have been in the industry for over 21 years helping construction professionals negotiate agreements. Give us a call today at (734) 404-3000 to explore how our team can help you.

A Cheap Divorce is Not Worth It

Money is an important factor whenever you work with a professional. When you go through a divorce, your money and time can get even tighter. Hiring a cheap lawyer to handle your case could be attractive. However, they will end up letting you down....

REAL ESTATE 50: Trial court relied upon warranty deed documents that provided the 2005 Easement superseded the Original Easement.

In reaching this conclusion, the trial court relied upon the 2013 warranty deed documents that twice expressly provided the 2005 Easement superseded the Original Easement. Review of the 2005 Amendment demonstrated that every aspect of the Original Easement was expressly repeated, modified, or omitted. Nothing in the language of the 2005 Amendment suggests that it is intended to be read in conjunction with the Original Easement.

PROBATE 33: Petitioners filed for co-guardianship of each grandchild.

Pursuant to MCL 700.5204(2)(b), in order for a court to consider appointing a guardian, a petitioner must first establish that 1) the parent permits the minor child to reside with another person; 2) the parent does not provide the other person with legal authority for the minor’s care and maintenance; and 3) the minor is not residing with his or her parent when the petition is filed.

What are Replevin Bonds or Surety Bonds?

It would be a wonderful world if people followed through on the agreements they make. There would be less stress, anxiety, and time wasted if people held up their end of a contract 100% of the time. The legal process would run much more smoothly and...

Are Juvenile Records Public or Can They be Expunged?

There is something in most people’s life they regret - if they could redo a moment, they would have done it better. Although there is no physical way to erase the past or redo past wrongs, there is a legal way to prevent some of the crimes...

FAMILY LAW 42: Motion to modify custody denied due to lack of supporting affidavits or documentation.

The lack of substantiation, again and again, could reasonably call into question plaintiff’s motives and credibility on all matters. The trial court appeared more than open to further considering a motion to modify custody if plaintiff would come forward with supporting documentary evidence, explaining why the court took the unusual step of denying the motion without prejudice.

WILLS/TRUSTS 21: Plaintiff alleged the University failed to use the funds consistent with the terms of the trust.

On April 23, 2018, plaintiff filed suit, alleging (1) breach of contract, namely the University’s failure to use the funds consistent with the terms of the Gift Agreement, and seeking damages or specific performance; (2) breach of fiduciary duty, on account of the University’s failure, as trustee of the charitable trust established by Professor’s gift, to comply with the terms and conditions of the resulting charitable trust; (3) violation of the Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act, MCL 451.921 et seq.; and (4) the need for injunctive relief prohibiting the dissipation of funds during the pendency of the case.

What is Collaborative Divorce Family Law?

Coming to the end of a happy time is a challenge no one wants to deal with in life. The end of a marriage through a divorce can especially be a tough, emotional, and complicated period. Lawyers and judges deciding your future, remembering important...

FAMILY LAW 41: To minimize disruptive changes in children’s custody, moving party must establish cause or a change of circumstance.

To minimize unwarranted and disruptive changes in children’s custody, a trial court may only modify children’s custody if the moving party first establishes a proper cause or a change of circumstances. The purpose of this framework is to erect a barrier against removal of a child from an established custodial environment and to minimize unwarranted and disruptive changes of custody orders.

DIVORCE 35: Proceeds received by one spouse in a personal injury lawsuit are generally considered separate property.

Proceeds received by one spouse in a personal injury lawsuit meant to compensate for pain and suffering, as opposed to lost wages, are generally considered separate property. Moreover, separate assets may lose their character as separate property and transform into marital property if they are commingled with marital assets and treated by the parties as marital property.

4 Common Real Estate Disputes to Watch Out For

Creating a mutually beneficial real estate deal usually goes through smoothly with both sides presenting their interests then negotiating toward a middle ground they can both agree to uphold. Unfortunately, not all deals go through without an issue....

Is My Conviction Eligible for Expungement?

At one point or another, we have all made mistakes. For some people, those mistakes involved breaking the law. Convictions have a large impact on someone’s life. Beyond the sentencing ranging from community service to fines, to jail or prison...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000