Now Accepting New Clients!

Arrests made by tracking cell phones may be illegal

Originally posted on 02/10/2017

An FBI agent tracks a suspect's cell phone use.Law enforcement agencies are always looking for an edge in fighting crime. As cell phones have become an indispensable part of life for many people, authorities have taken to using these devices to track suspects' locations and movements without their knowledge. In some cases, this tracking is not legal and criminal defense becomes easier. Keep reading to learn more about what you should know about arrests made by tracking cell phones.

"Stingrays" - Devices Used to Track Cell Phone Use

The devices used to do this are called stingrays (or ISMI catchers). Essentially, they act as cellular towers that can trick a cell phone into sending information to it (i.e. pings), thereby giving the cell phone's location. This can allow the police to track the cell phone wherever it goes. Also, when a cell phone connects to a stingray, it reveals the phone's unique ID numbers and traffic data, which can also allow the police to see what numbers have been dialed.

Benefits of Stingrays to Law Enforcement

The benefits to the police are obvious. Being able to track a suspect's movements can give authorities the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time in order to foil a crime. However, it can also be a violation of a person's Fourth Amendment rights.

Danger of Violating Citizen's Rights

If law enforcement authorities want to administer surveillance over a potential suspect, they must establish probable cause and convince a judge of such so that a warrant could be issued before tracking the suspect's whereabouts. However, this does not mean that law enforcement always follows the law. In these instances, one's civil liberties could be at risk.

Contact an Experienced Attorney to Help with Your Criminal Defense Case

No matter who you are or what you have allegedly done, it is important for your legal rights to be protected. If you have been arrested or are under investigation for a crime using illegally obtained cell phone data, the experienced criminal defense attorneys at Aldrich Legal Services can advise you. Give our team a call today.

What to Do When Homeowners Insurance Denies Your Claim

Since 1955, homeowners insurance has helped owners protect their property and belongings against damages and theft. According to the Insurance Information Institute, over 93% of homeowners in the US have homeowners insurance coverage, paying around...

What to Look for in a Criminal Defense Attorney

Originally posted on 10/20/2017 If you are charged with a crime, you could face severe penalties that could include financial fines, public service, or even jail time. For those in the Michigan area, hiring an attorney experienced in...

PROBATE 51: Trust filed a petition to determine title to credit union account.

The probate court explained that the owners of the account are S and J. When S passes, J becomes the owner of the account. J is the one who had the authority to make the designation. Nowhere in any documents is there a designation by J that SJ be the owner -- or the beneficiary of the account. The designation made by his father was no longer binding because he was no longer the owner at the time J passed away.

Invoking Your Right to Remain Silent

Originally posted on 07/19/2017 While the “right to remain silent” represents one of your most inalienable rights, many people have a few misconceptions about how it works. Many people receive their understanding of this...

Could I lose my job over a drunk driving arrest?

Originally posted on 01/20/2017 When potential clients ask us questions about criminal defense representation (particularly for drunk driving offenses) one of the most common is whether they will lose their job.  Naturally, this...

FAMILY LAW 77: Court awarded plaintiff sole legal custody; defendant was unwilling to work with plaintiff.

For joint custody to work, parents must be able to agree with each other on basic issues in child rearing including health care, religion, education, day to day decision making and discipline and they must be willing to cooperate with each other in joint decision making. If two equally capable parents are unable to cooperate and to agree generally concerning important decisions affecting the welfare of their children, the court has no alternative but to determine which parent shall have sole custody of the children.

CRIMINAL 19: Sentencing guidelines are advisory.

The sentencing guidelines are advisory, and although a trial court must determine the applicable guidelines range and take it into account when imposing a sentence, the court is not required to sentence a defendant within that range.

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000