Now Accepting New Clients!

DIVORCE 16: Medical marijuana grow operation considered income for calculation of spousal support.

During his marriage to plaintiff, defendant began a medical marijuana grow operation as a registered caregiver under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA), MCL 333.26421 et seq., providing medical marijuana for qualified patients. Plaintiff filed a complaint for divorce and requested spousal support.

Plaintiff and defendant were married in 1988. Over the course of the marriage and up to the point of these proceedings defendant maintained a drywall business. Over two decades later, defendant purchased a camp property with funds earned during the marriage and began to use the property to grow medical marijuana as a licensed grower.

Plaintiff filed a complaint for divorce in June of 2016. She requested $2,500 per month in spousal support and a greater portion of the marital estate.

With regard to defendant’s income, the trial court found that defendant earned an average of $15,300 per year from his drywall business and $120,000 per year from his medical marijuana grow operation during that same period. The trial court further found that defendant incurred annual expenses of $63,150 in order to maintain his marijuana grow operation.

Using these calculations, the trial court determined that defendant netted approximately $4,737.50 per month from activities solely associated with his marijuana grow operation. The trial court then accounted for defendant’s drywall-related income of $1,275 per month and his general expenses unrelated to the marijuana grow operation of $3,055 per month, finding that defendant was ultimately left with $2,957.50 in disposable monthly income. Plaintiff, however, experienced a net loss of $1,685.60 per month when examining her income and expenses.

After calculating the value of the marital estate, the trial court awarded the marijuana grow operation to defendant. Lastly, after considering the length of the marriage, the ability of the parties to work, their conduct during the marriage, their needs and abilities, fault, the amount of property awarded, and the general principles of equity, the trial court awarded plaintiff $1,900 per month in spousal support.

Were you just served with divorce papers? Do you believe that divorce is the only option left for your marriage?  In order to protect your financial rights, it is important to have an experienced and understanding divorce attorney by your side at every step of the way.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

FAMILY LAW 77: Court awarded plaintiff sole legal custody; defendant was unwilling to work with plaintiff.

For joint custody to work, parents must be able to agree with each other on basic issues in child rearing including health care, religion, education, day to day decision making and discipline and they must be willing to cooperate with each other in joint decision making. If two equally capable parents are unable to cooperate and to agree generally concerning important decisions affecting the welfare of their children, the court has no alternative but to determine which parent shall have sole custody of the children.

CRIMINAL 19: Sentencing guidelines are advisory.

The sentencing guidelines are advisory, and although a trial court must determine the applicable guidelines range and take it into account when imposing a sentence, the court is not required to sentence a defendant within that range.

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

The benefits of home health care providers

Originally posted on 03/22/2017 As we get older or suffer an injury, we need a little extra help. Home health care providers or caregivers can provide the assistance needed to handle your or your loved one's health and safety...

What to know about bail conditions

Originally posted on 03/06/2017 If you have been arrested and are being held on the suspicion that you have committed a particular crime, chances are that the only thing you are thinking about is getting out of jail as soon as possible and...

College students and estate planning

Originally posted on 12/16/2016 With college semesters starting up in Michigan, it may not be so easy to get college students to think responsibly. This time can be especially tough with the need of moving back to school and getting...

Three reasons to put a power of attorney in place

Originally posted on 11/08/2016 While no one wants to think of the unfortunate possibility of being incapacitated or of a time when we can't handle our own affairs, this circumstance is a real possibility. If something happens and this...

How to approach parents about estate planning

Originally posted on 12/09/2016 Family forms a strong foundation for many people's first and most intimate community. It is important to strengthen these first relationships so even uncommon questions become natural. For those...

PROBATE 44: Petition for Mental Health Treatment

Michigan’s Mental Health Code governs the civil admission and discharge procedures for a person with a mental illness. Specifically, MCL 330.1434 sets forth the procedure and content requirements for a petition for mental health treatment.

Should you get your criminal record expunged?

Originally posted on 04/12/2017 If you have been convicted of a crime, have served your sentence, and have followed all court recommendations, you should be able to put your past behind you and move on with life. Moving forward is critical...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000