Now Accepting New Clients!

DIVORCE 23: Right-of-first-refusal parenting-time condition in the divorce judgment.

In July 2015, a consent judgment of divorce was entered granting defendant and plaintiff joint legal custody and joint physical care, custody, and control of their minor child, who at the time was about to start kindergarten.

The judgment set forth a two-week parenting time schedule. Holidays were alternated, and each year they were rotated. Christmas break and spring break were to be divided equally, and each parent was to receive two non-consecutive and uninterrupted weeks in the summer.

Both parties are nurses who work 8 to 12-hour shifts, and the divorce judgment included a right-of-first-refusal provision, which stated: Each party shall have the right of first refusal if they are going to be away from the minor child overnight OR for a twelve (12) hour work shift. If they will be away because of either of these, that parent must notify the other parent to offer them the first right of refusal for overnight parenting time. This is not available during holiday and school break parenting time.

Defendant filed a motion in September 2017 to modify parenting time so that he had parenting time, including overnights, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. He alleged that, approximately one year after entry of the divorce judgment, the child began having overnight visits with him on plaintiff’s Tuesday nights due to plaintiff’s work schedule, which resulted in his having overnight parenting time every Tuesday.

The fact that plaintiff offered defendant the RFR for numerous Tuesday overnights over the course of approximately nine months does not support defendant’s position that a change of circumstances or proper cause has arisen. The referee concluded that it would be improper to hold plaintiff’s compliance with a valid provision in the judgment of the divorce against her in an action to modify parenting time; to hold otherwise would penalize plaintiff, and other parents, for following the provisions of a judgment of divorce, and it would generally discourage parents from permitting any additional parenting time to the other parent outside the court’s orders.

The referee determined that such a substantial increase in defendant’s overnights and corresponding decrease in plaintiff’s overnights would change the established custodial environment.

The referee opined that defendant had not shown proper cause or a change in circumstances.

While it is possible to seek a modification at any time, receiving the modification is much more difficult. If you can prove a substantial change in circumstances, a child custody, spousal support (only if the original divorce degree states that it can be modified) or child support modification is possible.

With more than 20 years of experience, our firm is well-suited to help plan a strategy that gives you the best chances of success.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services


What You Need to Know About Distracted Driving

A great U.S. freedom is the ability to drive the open roads. However, every year there are more than 20,000 car accidents in Michigan. Many of these accidents come from distracted driving and could have been avoided. Distracted driving is such a...

Reasons Your Will or Trust Could be Contested

Everyone reacts in their own way when a family member passes away. Emotions can run high, and people can react more strongly than they normally would. Some family members may feel cheated by what a will or trust grants them leading them to contest...

Penalties For Driving Without Insurance in Michigan

Getting into a car and going for a drive isn’t perfectly safe. Driving on the Michigan roads can be dangerous. Driving those same roads becomes financially dangerous if you drive without car insurance. Between fees, charges, and possible...

PROBATE 36: Undue influence to execute Lady Bird deed.

This probate dispute between siblings arises out of the death of their father. Their father lived alone. In 2013, however, he asked appellee to live with him. She agreed, moving into the home in August 2013. Appellants allege that in the years...

Top 5 Most Common Traffic Violations in Michigan

Staying safe on the roads is in everyone’s best interest. However, keeping yourself or others out of danger is everyone’s responsibility. Getting a traffic ticket ends up costing drivers big time. Traffic tickets and citations cost money...

A Cheap Divorce is Not Worth It

Money is an important factor whenever you work with a professional. When you go through a divorce, your money and time can get even tighter. Hiring a cheap lawyer to handle your case could be attractive. However, they will end up letting you down....

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000