Now Accepting New Clients!

FAMILY LAW 7: Parents share legal/physical custody but disagree on school.

Plaintiff, had physical custody of the minor child as of August 2011, but shared legal custody with Defendant. In October 2012, the parties filed competing motions for physical custody and parenting time. In 2013, the trial court ordered joint legal and physical custody with alternating weeks of parenting time consistent with the parties’ practice at the time.

In September 2016, when the subject of school placement arose, the trial court continued joint legal and physical custody, ordered enrollment of the child in the Public Schools near Defendant, and gave Defendant parenting time during the week and Plaintiff parenting time on the weekend.

In October 2016, Defendant filed a motion to amend the order, requesting two additional weekends of parenting time per month. Plaintiff countered that the parents could have equal parenting time if the child attended school halfway between the parents’ houses. After holding an evidentiary hearing in February 2017, the trial court maintained the parents’ joint legal and physical custody of the child. The trial court ordered that the child finish kindergarten at the school that he was attending and enroll in the school halfway between for the following school year beginning in the fall of 2017. Beginning in the summer, the trial court ordered, the parents had equal parenting time either as agreed or on an alternating weekly basis.

Defendant appealed the trial court’s order regarding custody, parenting time, and school placement.

Defendant argues that the trial court erred by changing custody of the child because it did not find clear and convincing evidence that changing custody was in the child’s best interests. The trial court did not change custody, however. The parents have had joint legal and physical custody since 2013, and the trial court continued this custody arrangement. In addition, the purpose of the trial court’s ruling that the child should change schools was to maintain the established custodial environment with both parents.

Defendant argues that the trial court’s ruling that the child should change schools to have equal time with each parent was not in the child’s best interests. Defendant maintains that he was able to provide a more “stable, satisfactory environment.”

Although Defendant has enjoyed a longer period of stable housing and employment, Plaintiff has also demonstrated stability. She had housing and employment, and she maintained them for longer periods of time just before the hearing. She also planned to stay in the house she was living in. Accordingly, the evidence does not clearly preponderate in Defendant’s favor.

MCL 722.23(h) lists the home, school, and community record of the child as a custody factor. There was no evidence that the child would not do equally well at the new school, in an area where he had relatives. Plaintiff explained her plan of transportation and enrollment, checking with the school about enrollment and finding the school that was roughly equidistant for both parties. Thus, the evidence about the school does not clearly preponderate in Defendant’s favor.

In sum, the trial court did not abuse its discretion by denying Defendant’s motion for additional parenting time and by changing the child’s school to maintain the established custodial environment with both parents. Further, the trial court did not err by concluding that changing schools to maintain the established custodial environment was in the child’s best interests.  The appeals court affirmed.

It is important to remember that decrees regarding child support, child custody, and parenting time are not always final.  Circumstances change all the time, which is why it is possible to seek a post-decree modification.

Our family law attorneys at Aldrich Legal Services have helped countless family law clients across southeast Michigan, including in Wayne, Washtenaw and Oakland counties, receive modifications that more fairly meet their needs. Contact us at our law firm in Plymouth. We can help you determine your chances of receiving a modification.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

FSBO: 3 Tips to Help Effectively Sell Your Home

Many homeowners are taking real estate matters into their own hands, especially when it comes to their own homes. Some of the most difficult tasks FSBO sellers encounter are selling their home at the right price, understanding paperwork and selling...

How Is Debt Split Up In A Divorce?

For some, debt is inevitable. Many individuals have some form of debt whether it’s credit card debt or student loans. You and your spouse may have accumulated debt over the years and this raises a huge question. How is debt split up in a...

What Are Some Post Legal Divorce Issues?

Once a divorce is finalized, there still may be a few legal issues that can happen after the divorce proceeding. It’s even possible that new issues can arise after the divorce. In either event, a divorce lawyer can help guide you through these...

For Sale by Owner: Do You Need an Attorney?

  For sale by owner (FSBO) homes can be a daunting task. However, if you want to do it correctly and smoothly, it’s best done with some assistance from a real estate lawyer. A real estate attorney has the knowledge and experience to...

Michigan Marijuana Statutes

In the state of Michigan, the possession of marijuana is illegal unless you have a medical condition that is debilitating. Below we discuss the marijuana statutes in Michigan. Medical Marijuana The Michigan Medical Marijuana Act states that...

The Most Common Reasons for Real Estate Litigation

Real estate litigation can happen to anyone, from buyers and sellers to real estate agents, there’s always a potential for a lawsuit. With a lot of money on the line, it’s crucial to have an experienced attorney who has a great...

Refusing A Blood Alcohol Test in Michigan

In the state of Michigan, the law requires you to take either a blood, breath or urine test if arrested for an OWI. Michigan has an “implied consent” law which states that if someone lawfully arrested by an officer who has probable cause...

Do Background Checks Show Misdemeanors?

  Misdemeanors are often considered a less serious criminal offense compared to their felony counterpart. Common misdemeanors include reckless driving, petty theft, public intoxication, trespassing and more. Although misdemeanors don’t...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000