Now Accepting New Clients!

How to approach parents about estate planning

Originally posted on 12/09/2016

A younger person helps his parents address their legal needs while planning for their estate.Family forms a strong foundation for many people's first and most intimate community. It is important to strengthen these first relationships so even uncommon questions become natural. For those with older or elderly parents, the topic of estate planning may be an awkward and uncomfortable topic to broach.

After all, you definitely care about how your loved ones are cared for as they age, but you don’t want to be presumptuous and damage your relationship. This post will provide some helpful tips.

1. Find out what is important to them

A discussion about estate planning should not be about you (or how much money they can leave). Rather, it should be about how they will be remembered, and how they can continue to influence the family through the legacy they want to leave. Discussions about money can seem disingenuous, while talks about family legacy are much more important.

2. Stress the importance of health

Above all, parents should be aware of how important their health is to the family. Some elderly parents may feel as if people do not care about them as much because their health is declining, or that they feel like a burden on family members. Discussions surrounding estate planning should also include steps to maintain an aging parent’s health.

3. Keep a tone of respect

No matter how much time has passed since your childhood, parents still believe that they are your parents, and that they know best for you (as well as themselves). This means that you should still maintain an air of respect for them when discussing their estate plan. 

Partner with an Experienced Estate Planning Attorney

Having these sometimes uncomfortable conversations is important as you plan for your parents' future. The more you know about their intersts and needs, the more likely you are to give them what they want. The experienced attorneys at Aldrich Legal Services have been in the estate planning field for more than 21 years. Give our team a call today to set an appointment with one of our legal experts.

PROBATE 51: Trust filed a petition to determine title to credit union account.

The probate court explained that the owners of the account are S and J. When S passes, J becomes the owner of the account. J is the one who had the authority to make the designation. Nowhere in any documents is there a designation by J that SJ be the owner -- or the beneficiary of the account. The designation made by his father was no longer binding because he was no longer the owner at the time J passed away.

Invoking Your Right to Remain Silent

Originally posted on 07/19/2017 While the “right to remain silent” represents one of your most inalienable rights, many people have a few misconceptions about how it works. Many people receive their understanding of this...

Arrests made by tracking cell phones may be illegal

Originally posted on 02/10/2017 Law enforcement agencies are always looking for an edge in fighting crime. As cell phones have become an indispensable part of life for many people, authorities have taken to using these devices to track...

Could I lose my job over a drunk driving arrest?

Originally posted on 01/20/2017 When potential clients ask us questions about criminal defense representation (particularly for drunk driving offenses) one of the most common is whether they will lose their job.  Naturally, this...

FAMILY LAW 77: Court awarded plaintiff sole legal custody; defendant was unwilling to work with plaintiff.

For joint custody to work, parents must be able to agree with each other on basic issues in child rearing including health care, religion, education, day to day decision making and discipline and they must be willing to cooperate with each other in joint decision making. If two equally capable parents are unable to cooperate and to agree generally concerning important decisions affecting the welfare of their children, the court has no alternative but to determine which parent shall have sole custody of the children.

CRIMINAL 19: Sentencing guidelines are advisory.

The sentencing guidelines are advisory, and although a trial court must determine the applicable guidelines range and take it into account when imposing a sentence, the court is not required to sentence a defendant within that range.

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

The benefits of home health care providers

Originally posted on 03/22/2017 As we get older or suffer an injury, we need a little extra help. Home health care providers or caregivers can provide the assistance needed to handle your or your loved one's health and safety...

What to know about bail conditions

Originally posted on 03/06/2017 If you have been arrested and are being held on the suspicion that you have committed a particular crime, chances are that the only thing you are thinking about is getting out of jail as soon as possible and...

College students and estate planning

Originally posted on 12/16/2016 With college semesters starting up in Michigan, it may not be so easy to get college students to think responsibly. This time can be especially tough with the need of moving back to school and getting...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000