LITIGATION 4: Plaintiff claimed installation of hardwood flooring breached the condo bylaws.

Plaintiff and defendants’ own condominiums in the same building; defendants’ unit is directly above plaintiffs.

In 2016, plaintiff filed suit against defendants, alleging that they had installed new hardwood flooring in their unit that caused noise to resonate down into her unit, disturbing her sleep and otherwise bothering her during both night and day. Plaintiff further alleged that defendants refused to rectify the problem even though she offered financial assistance.

Plaintiff claimed that the installation of the hardwood flooring was in breach of the condominium master deed and bylaws; she additionally asserted counts alleging nuisance, nuisance per se, breach of quiet enjoyment, trespass, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Defendants filed a counterclaim for abuse of process and tortious inference with a business relationship. The trial court dismissed defendants’ counterclaim.

In 2017, the parties participated in a mediation that resulted in a written settlement agreement (the agreement). The agreement provided for the following:

1. Carpeting would be installed with standard padding in the bedrooms of defendants’ unit.

2. The hardwood flooring in the living room, main hallway, and kitchen of defendants’ unit would be taken up and reinstalled with new flooring material of defendants’ choosing over an unspecified sound deadening underlayment to be chosen by plaintiff.

3. Plaintiff would have the right to supervise the work, either individually or through an agent(s).

4. The parties would share the costs equally, but the total costs would not exceed $15,000.

5. The project would be completed by August 20, 2017.

6. The agreement would be a recordable covenant that runs with the land, which would end when plaintiff permanently vacated her unit.

7. The agreement was the entire agreement between the parties, and it could not be amended except in a writing signed by all parties.

In July 2017, plaintiff moved to enforce the agreement, contending that defendants had not performed their contractual obligations. Plaintiff asserted that she had had the right to observe and inspect the project as it was being completed. Plaintiff also complained that she had not received notice of when the project would get underway and that defendants had failed to provide her with information regarding the materials being installed.

Defendants completed the project. Plaintiff did not pay for any of the costs of the project. Defendants moved to compel plaintiff to pay one-half of the costs under the agreement. Plaintiff responded that defendants had materially breached the agreement in several ways, including by denying her the right to supervise the project, by refusing to give her an installation schedule, and by starting work before plaintiff approved of the start date.

Plaintiff argued that she was not required to perform under the agreement because of defendants’ material breach. The court found that defendants did not materially breach the agreement, plaintiff was not relieved of her payment obligation.  The trial court granted defendants’ motion and entered the judgment of payment.

Are you involved in a real estate dispute in Michigan? Are you seeking an efficient and effective resolution to a litigation matter?

If you are facing a residential or commercial real estate dispute, seek the advice of an experienced litigation attorney at Aldrich Legal Services in Plymouth.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

REAL ESTATE 36: Plaintiff argued that her claim was not time-barred because it did not accrue until the grandmother’s death.

Plaintiff’s interest in the subject property is best characterized as a remainder estate, because her right to possession of the property was postponed until the occurrence of a specific contingency, that being the deaths of the grandparents. Plaintiff pursued this action within the 15-year limitation period; accordingly, this action is not barred by MCL 600.5801(4).

LITIGATION 6: The terms of the agreement prevails over the course of performance.

The trial court determined that under the UCC, the express terms of the parties’ agreements prevailed over the course of their performance and course of dealing. Although a course of performance may show that parties have waived a specific contractual term under MCL 440.1303(6), the statute does not similarly provide that a course of dealing may demonstrate waiver.

PROBATE 27: Petitioner filed a petition for mental-health treatment.

In support of the allegations, petitioner attached clinical certificates from a physician and a psychiatrist who observed respondent at the hospital. Both doctors diagnosed respondent with bipolar disorder, determined that she displayed a likelihood of injuring herself and that she did not understand the need for treatment, and recommended a course of treatment that consisted of 60 days of hospitalization and 90 days of outpatient care.

5 Things Everyone Should Do Before Starting a Business

So, you have a great idea and the experience to back it up. You are in a great starting place, but you have some work to do before jumping into forming your own business. Consider the following steps before you begin the process of starting your...

FAMILY LAW 32: Trial court committed error in failing to address whether there was an established custodial environment.

On appeal, plaintiff argues that the trial court failed to make any findings regarding (1) the child’s established custodial environment, (2) the child’s best interests regarding the grant of primary physical custody to defendant, (3) the child’s best interests with respect to parenting time, and (4) the child’s best interests pertaining to the parties’ dispute over daycare.

PROBATE 25: Daughter removed as personal representative of the estate.

the probate court determined that Daughter J had managed the estate in a manner that promoted her own interests as a beneficiary over the interests of the estate. The probate court found that such management demonstrated mismanagement of the estate and that removal of Daughter J was therefore in the best interests of the estate.

4 Last Minute Ways to Avoid Foreclosure

One tough break seems to lead to another. If you get behind on mortgage payments, you could be in danger of having your house foreclosed upon by the bank. Lenders foreclose on real estate to recoup their losses. But this means you won’t have a...

5 Necessary Sections Your Prenuptial Agreement Needs

Many big decisions come with getting engaged. Planning for marriage can be exciting and romantic, although the thought of adding a prenuptial agreement may not stoke your passion, they can help you now and in the future. Prenuptial agreements are...

REAL ESTATE 32: Plaintiffs and defendants executed a second easement.

Plaintiffs requested that the trial court, either through reformation of the First Easement or interpretation of the Second Easement, quiet title in favor of plaintiffs and declare them to be the owners of an easement to access Lake Superior through the ravine on defendants’ property, enjoin defendants from interfering with their use of the easement, and order compensation for damages to the stairs.

FAMILY LAW 30: Discretionary trust assets cannot be reached to satisfy claims for child support and alimony.

The key difference between discretionary trusts, support trusts, and spendthrift trusts is that creditors cannot compel the trustee of a discretionary trust to pay any part of the income or principal in order that the creditors may be paid. The opposite is true of spendthrift and support trusts, which allow trust assets to be reached to satisfy creditors, including creditors seeking to satisfy claims for child support and alimony.

An Easy Guide to Navigate the Probate Process

Families can help each other through life’s toughest moments. However, issues come up when the strain of losing a loved one combines with the stress of honoring their last wishes. Probate protects beneficiaries best interests. Though...

Top 3 Misconceptions on Power of Attorney

Considering leaving the country for a long time while maintaining a business or selling a home in the US? Were you recently diagnosed with a terminal or degenerative disease? For these and many other issues, it may become necessary for someone...

FAMILY LAW 29: Quitclaim deed signed after prenuptial agreement prevails.

The court ruled that title to the land prevails and that once the deed was signed, the property became the undivided whole interest for both the decedent and appellee and became appellee’s property upon the decedent’s death. Consequently, the court concluded that the prenuptial agreement did not have any impact on the property rights of appellee in this case.

Know the Differences between Annulment and Divorce

  Marriage can end through two ways: divorce and annulment. Though both of these options have the same result, each has different requirements. There are many similarities and differences between a divorce and an annulment, so many...

Understanding Vaping Laws for Minors

  Vaping is a fad that is quickly solidifying into a stable industry of products around the world. Vaping and electronic cigarette (or e-cigarette) use have dramatically increased from roughly “seven million [users] in 2011 to 35...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000