Now Accepting New Clients!

PROBATE 21: Probate court believed it would not have jurisdiction once their mother left the state.

In this case, the subject guardianship proceedings were initially commenced in the Macomb Probate Court.

The probate court appointed petitioner (court appointed) as Mother’s guardian. After petitioner learned that Mother desired to make the transition to North Carolina to live closer to relatives, petitioner asked the court to implement a transitional plan to ensure Mother’s physical and emotional well-being.

Following a hearing on the motion, petitioner, respondent (the daughter), and Mother’s court-appointed attorney developed a transitional plan to be supported by a court order to ensure compliance. The petition indicated that the probate court would retain jurisdiction by virtue of the continued guardianship proceedings. Furthermore, the proposed order included a clause indicating that at the end of the 180-day transition period, a hearing will be held to determine if the Guardianship over Mother should continue in Michigan or be terminated upon the commencement of a new Guardianship proceeding in North Carolina.

The trial court, however, indicated its belief that it would not have jurisdiction once Mother left the state.  Despite counsel’s argument regarding the utility of the Full Faith and Credit Clause, the probate court disagreed.

Petitioner states that a final guardianship report has not been filed and that the probate court was not required to terminate the guardianship proceedings in order to enter the stipulated order. Furthermore, petitioner did not seek to resign. These assertions are undisputed, and indeed would not change as a result of the probate court’s entry of the stipulated order. The transfer of jurisdiction is contingent upon the occurrence of a final accounting and resignation by the guardian in the court in which the letters of authority were issued.

North Carolina’s courts would recognize the jurisdiction of the Michigan probate court and would require an order of transfer before allowing a transfer of guardianship. Petitioner also would maintain the ability to raise an objection to the transfer if the transfer was not in Mother’s best interests.

Ultimately, if a permanent relocation to North Carolina were in Mother’s best interests after the 180-day transition period, the probate court would remain in a position to make the determination as to whether it should transfer the guardianship proceedings to the jurisdiction of a North Carolina court.

In sum, the probate court would remain in a position to safeguard Mother and her interests until it was convinced that a transfer was in Mother’s best interests. Therefore, the probate court clearly erred by concluding that it would no longer have jurisdiction over Mother following entry of the proposed stipulated order.

Deciding who will be your advocate or who will responsibly handle your finances if you cannot is not a decision to be taken lightly. We will take the time to listen to all of your concerns and help you construct an estate plan that meets your needs.

Learn more about power of attorney designations and how we can help you protect your interests. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced estate planning attorney.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

The benefits of home health care providers

Originally posted on 03/22/2017 As we get older or suffer an injury, we need a little extra help. Home health care providers or caregivers can provide the assistance needed to handle your or your loved one's health and safety...

What to know about bail conditions

Originally posted on 03/06/2017 If you have been arrested and are being held on the suspicion that you have committed a particular crime, chances are that the only thing you are thinking about is getting out of jail as soon as possible and...

College students and estate planning

Originally posted on 12/16/2016 With college semesters starting up in Michigan, it may not be so easy to get college students to think responsibly. This time can be especially tough with the need of moving back to school and getting...

Three reasons to put a power of attorney in place

Originally posted on 11/08/2016 While no one wants to think of the unfortunate possibility of being incapacitated or of a time when we can't handle our own affairs, this circumstance is a real possibility. If something happens and this...

How to approach parents about estate planning

Originally posted on 12/09/2016 Family forms a strong foundation for many people's first and most intimate community. It is important to strengthen these first relationships so even uncommon questions become natural. For those...

PROBATE 44: Petition for Mental Health Treatment

Michigan’s Mental Health Code governs the civil admission and discharge procedures for a person with a mental illness. Specifically, MCL 330.1434 sets forth the procedure and content requirements for a petition for mental health treatment.

Should you get your criminal record expunged?

Originally posted on 04/12/2017 If you have been convicted of a crime, have served your sentence, and have followed all court recommendations, you should be able to put your past behind you and move on with life. Moving forward is critical...

Choosing the right executor for an estate

Originally posted on 05/28/2017 When people are thinking about planning their estate, they often think about trying to minimize the estate tax, keeping their will updated, and keeping items out of probate court; however, there is another...

Understanding how the Miranda warning works

Originally posted on 11/25/2016 Michigan residents who have seen television police shows or movies involving law enforcement have no doubt watched many dramatic scenes with officers quoting something to the effect of, "You have the...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000