Now Accepting New Clients!

PROBATE 25: Daughter removed as personal representative of the estate.

In this dispute between siblings Daughter J and Daughter N over the administration of the estate of their father, Daughter J was removed as personal representative of the estate and the court appointed a successor personal representative.

Decedent died on March 13, 2017. In his will, dated October 12, 2016, the decedent nominated his daughter as personal representative of his estate, and he devised a bank account and investment account to her. According to Daughter J, this investment account consisted of three stocks. The decedent also devised his home to his daughter N. Daughter N had been living with the decedent in his home at the decedent’s request. Daughter N had been living in the home for several years. The remainder of the decedent’s estate was devised to both daughters in equal shares.

On May 8, 2017, Daughter J filed an application seeking informal probate of the will and to have herself appointed personal representative pursuant to the terms of the will. The decedent’s will was admitted to informal probate, and Daughter J was appointed personal representative.

During the course of administering the estate, Daughter J retained counsel and incurred substantial bills for legal services. There were also other expenses and creditors of the estate. The estate had limited liquid assets, and the estate’s most valuable asset was the house. Daughter J intended to sell the house if necessary, in order to pay the estate’s financial obligations. However, Daughter J’s attorney sent Daughter N a letter indicating that Daughter N would be able to keep the house if Daughter N personally paid over $20,000, which represented various financial obligations of the estate.

Daughter N subsequently petitioned to have Daughter J removed as the personal representative, claiming that Daughter J should be removed because (1) removal is in the best interests of the estate, (2) the person who sought appointment of the current personal representative intentionally misrepresented material facts, and (3) the personal representative mismanaged the estate.

Following an evidentiary hearing, the probate court removed Daughter J as personal representative and appointed a new personal representative.

The Estates and Protected Individuals Code (EPIC), provides the applicable standards for removing a personal representative for cause. MCL 700.3611 provides in pertinent part as follows:

(1) An interested person may petition for removal of a personal representative for cause at any time.

(2) The court may remove a personal representative under any of the following circumstances:

(a) Removal is in the best interests of the estate.

(b) It is shown that the personal representative or the person who sought   the personal representative’s appointment intentionally         misrepresented material facts in a proceeding leading to the  appointment.

(c) The personal representative did any of the following:

(i) Disregarded a court order.

(ii) Became incapable of discharging the duties of office.

(iii) Mismanaged the estate.

(iv) Failed to perform a duty pertaining to the office.

In this case, the probate court determined that Daughter J had managed the estate in a manner that promoted her own interests as a beneficiary over the interests of the estate. The probate court found that such management demonstrated mismanagement of the estate and that removal of Daughter J was therefore in the best interests of the estate.

Aldrich Legal Services represents clients in a wide range of probate litigation matters. Given the emotional nature of these disputes and their financial impact on all involved, it is critical that anyone involved in such a dispute retain highly qualified legal counsel.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

FAMILY LAW 50: A Michigan Court has jurisdiction to make an initial custody determination when it is the home state of the child on the date of the commencement of the proceeding or within 6 months before the commencement of the proceeding.

PROCEDURAL HISTORY  Plaintiff and defendant have twin sons, but never married.  On August 13, 2008, the Court of Common Pleas Juvenile Division in Montgomery County, Ohio established plaintiff as the legal father of the children and...

When You Should Contest a Will?

Wills usually go through without a problem. Well over 90% of wills have no issue making it through probate. However, there are several grounds you may have to contest a will. As a beneficiary, or someone who would gain from a will, there are legal...

What You Need to Know About Distracted Driving

A great U.S. freedom is the ability to drive the open roads. However, every year there are more than 20,000 car accidents in Michigan. Many of these accidents come from distracted driving and could have been avoided. Distracted driving is such a...

Reasons Your Will or Trust Could be Contested

Everyone reacts in their own way when a family member passes away. Emotions can run high, and people can react more strongly than they normally would. Some family members may feel cheated by what a will or trust grants them leading them to contest...

Penalties For Driving Without Insurance in Michigan

Getting into a car and going for a drive isn’t perfectly safe. Driving on the Michigan roads can be dangerous. Driving those same roads becomes financially dangerous if you drive without car insurance. Between fees, charges, and possible...

PROBATE 36: Undue influence to execute Lady Bird deed.

This probate dispute between siblings arises out of the death of their father. Their father lived alone. In 2013, however, he asked appellee to live with him. She agreed, moving into the home in August 2013. Appellants allege that in the years...

Top 5 Most Common Traffic Violations in Michigan

Staying safe on the roads is in everyone’s best interest. However, keeping yourself or others out of danger is everyone’s responsibility. Getting a traffic ticket ends up costing drivers big time. Traffic tickets and citations cost money...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000