WILLS/TRUSTS 10: Dispute over the distribution of trust assets.

In this case, the Revocable Living Trust was established in 1997. The Trust Agreement lists the Settlor as the initial trustee, appellant as the first successor trustee, and Settlor’s children as the beneficiaries.

According to the Trust’s General Assignment and Declaration, Settlor transferred, conveyed, and assigned to the Trust all of her right, title and interest in and to all of her personal property, however owned, whether tangible or intangible, now owned or later acquired. That property is to be distributed in accordance with the Trust Agreement, which differentiates between Settlor’s farm assets and non-farm assets.

Any Farm Assets which the Trust owns (if any) shall be distributed, in equal shares, to Settlor’s sons. The Nonfarm Assets shall be distributed to Settlor’s daughters in approximately equal shares, but only in amounts sufficient to assure that each daughter receives a share equal to the shares received by Settlor’s sons. All remaining property shall be shared approximately equally, by all children.

However, it is my desire that each of my daughters receive an amount equal to at least $100,000. To that end, if I have retained any mineral rights on land previously conveyed, including any ongoing oil and gas leases, the income from such leases and any other mineral rights, shall be paid to my daughters until the total amount of such payments, together with the net amounts they receive from this trust, shall be equal to $100,000 for each of my daughters. Thereafter, the income from any ongoing leases is to be shared equally by all my children, and the Trustee shall convey the mineral rights to the property owners.

On the same day Settlor established the Trust she both leased and deeded to her sons the exact farmland described above.  The Farm Real Estate Lease has Settlor, trustee of the Trust, as landlord of the property, and son as joint tenants.  In contrast, the deed makes no mention of the Trust, stating instead that Settlor quit claimed and conveyed the farmland to her sons, excluding all mineral rights, but retained a life estate in the property which included the right of possession and rents.

Settlor subsequently passed away in 2014.  The daughters filed an initial petition for construction, supervision, and addition of assets to the Trust, alleging that the successor trustee of the Trust, excluded the above farmland from the Trust inventory, which drastically reduced the shares they would receive upon distribution.

The Trust and deed as estate planning documents are wholly inconsistent because the removal of $700,000 from the trust gives the boys an enormous windfall and is totally incongruent with the trust addendum which includes the real estate in the trust because it treats each child equally. The language of the trust was written to include the farm property in the dispositive intentions of the Settlor, but the farmland could not be considered a Trust asset at the time of distribution because the property had been deeded to the sons.

The trial court found that both the lease and the legal description of farmland attached to the Trust Agreement are defective because the Trust never owned the property, as evidenced by the quitclaim deed and its recording in April 1998.

A carefully drafted and properly executed estate plan can pass your property to your loved ones in the manner of your choosing and helps ensure that your children and other family members understand your wishes, thus minimizing the risk of disputes and litigation.  Trusts are one of the most commonly used estate planning documents and can serve a variety of purposes.

Aldrich Legal Services has earned its reputation for integrity and trusted service, we are committed to helping individuals and families plan for the future and obtain peace of mind.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

Top 3 Misconceptions on Power of Attorney

Considering leaving the country for a long time while maintaining a business or selling a home in the US? Were you recently diagnosed with a terminal or degenerative disease? For these and many other issues, it may become necessary for someone...

FAMILY LAW 29: Quitclaim deed signed after prenuptial agreement prevails.

The court ruled that title to the land prevails and that once the deed was signed, the property became the undivided whole interest for both the decedent and appellee and became appellee’s property upon the decedent’s death. Consequently, the court concluded that the prenuptial agreement did not have any impact on the property rights of appellee in this case.

Know the Differences between Annulment and Divorce

  Marriage can end through two ways: divorce and annulment. Though both of these options have the same result, each has different requirements. There are many similarities and differences between a divorce and an annulment, so many...

Understanding Vaping Laws for Minors

  Vaping is a fad that is quickly solidifying into a stable industry of products around the world. Vaping and electronic cigarette (or e-cigarette) use have dramatically increased from roughly “seven million [users] in 2011 to 35...

Michigans New Marijuana Laws

The 2018 ballot initiative titled “the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act (MRTMA) passed with 56% of the vote. Michigan joins nine states and D.C. in legalizing some form of recreational marijuana use.  Due to the...

Cyberbullying Is Now A Punishable Crime In Michigan

Beginning in March 2019, cyberbullying will now be illegal in the state of Michigan. The House Bill 5017 now makes cyberbullying a punishable crime by Michigan law, meaning that those who harass others online could face potential jail...

The Difference Between Theft, Robbery and Burglary

Often, burglary, robbery, and theft are used interchangeably even though there are distinct differences between all of them. Though, what all three do have in common is they may involve the unlawful taking of someone’s personal property by...

Do I Have To Go To Court If I Get A Divorce?

If you’re contemplating a divorce in Michigan, you probably have a lot of questions. One of the most intimidating aspects of getting a divorce in Michigan or anywhere else is the idea of having to appear in court. The laws for getting a...

Do I Need A Prenuptial Agreement?

A prenuptial agreement is not only for the wealthy people in society, like Hollywood celebrities and the like but also for any couple that brings personal assets, property, debts or children from a former relationship into the marriage. This...

PROBATE 19: Respondent argues she did not receive notice of hearing until five days before.

Respondent argues that she was denied her right to due process of law because she did not receive notice of the hearing until five days before it took place. Respondent argues that the five-day notice of hearing violated her right to due process. Due process generally requires that notice be reasonably calculated to apprise interested parties of the action and to provide them an opportunity to be heard.

WILLS/TRUSTS 11: Allegations that a trustee violated his fiduciary duties.

MCL 700.7803 states that a trustee shall act as would a prudent person in dealing with the property of another, including following the standards of the Michigan prudent investor rule. If the trustee has special skills or is named trustee on the basis of representation of special skills or expertise, the trustee is under a duty to use those skills. MCL 700.7810 states that a trustee shall take reasonable steps to take control of and protect the trust property.

How Is Probation Violated?

If you are on probation, it means you have the judge's trust and have been allowed some level of freedom. Now you must work on ensuring you don’t violate your probation. You will need to abide by every term that the criminal court judge...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000