Now Accepting New Clients!

WILLS/TRUSTS 30: Bank cannot assert standing as a personal representative because the court held that it was not a successor co-personal representative.

Following the death of the decedent, B filed a petition in the probate court seeking intestate probate of the decedent’s estate and to be appointed the sole personal representative. Soon after, C Bank filed a petition in the probate court seeking to probate the decedent’s will and to be appointed co-personal representative of his estate.

Sole Personal Representative

The decedent’s will contain the following provision concerning who would serve as his personal representative: I nominate, constitute, and appoint B and N BANK as Co-Personal Representatives of this, my Last Will and Testament. If at any time either is unwilling or unable to act, then the other shall serve as sole Personal Representative

Following the execution of the will but prior to the decedent’s death, N Bank was acquired by C Bank. C Bank alleged that, as the corporate successor to N Bank, it was entitled to serve as co-personal representative. It submitted that state banking rules permitted the substitution. However, B asserted that she was entitled to serve as the sole personal representative because N Bank no longer existed, and the will did not provide for a successor to substitute for N Bank.


C Bank alleged that there was a reason for the bank to serve in the role of co-personal representative because, as a fiduciary, it would ensure accountability and professionalism. On the contrary, B’s counsel claimed that, as the personal representative, she had secured the decedent’s property and sold it and would ensure that the stepchildren receive their share of the trust.

Following the hearing, the court entered an order appointing B as sole personal representative. The court stated that the will contained no language indicating the ‘successors and assigns’ of N Bank would act as Personal Representative if N Bank was unable to act.

Does Your Will or Trust Accomplish What You Want?

Aldrich Legal Services is pleased to assist you with your estate planning needs. We draft and review wills, trusts and other estate planning documents to help our clients with their estate objectives.

Contact Aldrich Legal Services

Speak to a Pro: (734) 404-3000

What to Do When Homeowners Insurance Denies Your Claim

Since 1955, homeowners insurance has helped owners protect their property and belongings against damages and theft. According to the Insurance Information Institute, over 93% of homeowners in the US have homeowners insurance coverage, paying around...

What to Look for in a Criminal Defense Attorney

Originally posted on 10/20/2017 If you are charged with a crime, you could face severe penalties that could include financial fines, public service, or even jail time. For those in the Michigan area, hiring an attorney experienced in...

PROBATE 51: Trust filed a petition to determine title to credit union account.

The probate court explained that the owners of the account are S and J. When S passes, J becomes the owner of the account. J is the one who had the authority to make the designation. Nowhere in any documents is there a designation by J that SJ be the owner -- or the beneficiary of the account. The designation made by his father was no longer binding because he was no longer the owner at the time J passed away.

Invoking Your Right to Remain Silent

Originally posted on 07/19/2017 While the “right to remain silent” represents one of your most inalienable rights, many people have a few misconceptions about how it works. Many people receive their understanding of this...

Arrests made by tracking cell phones may be illegal

Originally posted on 02/10/2017 Law enforcement agencies are always looking for an edge in fighting crime. As cell phones have become an indispensable part of life for many people, authorities have taken to using these devices to track...

Could I lose my job over a drunk driving arrest?

Originally posted on 01/20/2017 When potential clients ask us questions about criminal defense representation (particularly for drunk driving offenses) one of the most common is whether they will lose their job.  Naturally, this...

FAMILY LAW 77: Court awarded plaintiff sole legal custody; defendant was unwilling to work with plaintiff.

For joint custody to work, parents must be able to agree with each other on basic issues in child rearing including health care, religion, education, day to day decision making and discipline and they must be willing to cooperate with each other in joint decision making. If two equally capable parents are unable to cooperate and to agree generally concerning important decisions affecting the welfare of their children, the court has no alternative but to determine which parent shall have sole custody of the children.

CRIMINAL 19: Sentencing guidelines are advisory.

The sentencing guidelines are advisory, and although a trial court must determine the applicable guidelines range and take it into account when imposing a sentence, the court is not required to sentence a defendant within that range.

Basic responsibilities of an executor

Originally posted on 01/11/2017 The emotional toils of dealing with the death of a loved one can be considerably difficult. Nevertheless, perseverance is paramount; especially if you are appointed to be an executor to one’s...

What you need to compliment your will

Originally posted on 02/08/2017 Making end-of-life plans usually end with a will, but they shouldn't. Some believe that simply having a will is enough. However, this post will briefly explain how having other estate planning...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000