Now Accepting New Clients!

Are Juvenile Records Public or Can They be Expunged?

RemA lawyer discusses options to have a juvenile record expunged for a young man.

Originally posted on 12/06/2019

There is something in most people’s life they regret - if they could redo a moment, they would have done it better. Although there is no physical way to erase the past or redo past wrongs, there is a legal way to prevent some of the crimes of your youth from following you forever. Adults can get a new start by having their juvenile records expunged or sealed. 

Expungement can end up making your life better. Having your juvenile records expunged means they are no longer publically available. Barring this information from the public allows you to not report your arrest or conviction to employers, landlords, and more. However, if you are wondering who can see your expunged records, look no further than the courts. Judges and law enforcement can still use your records, even expunged records, against you under such policies as the “Three Strike” statute. 

Keep reading this post to learn more about having your juvenile records expunged.

Are you Eligible to Have Your Juvenile Records Removed from the Public Record?

The following are the general requirements for sealing or expunging juvenile records. 

  • Age - To request to have your records sealed, you must be an adult. In other words, you must be over 18.
  • Timing of the Offense - In Michigan, juveniles need to 1) wait at least one year after a judge’s decision on a case, 2) allow at least one year to pass after leaving a detention facility, 3) have turned 18. (Mich. Comp. Laws § 712A.18e(3).)*
  • Type of Offense - People need to have no more than three juvenile convictions with no felony convictions to have the three offenses expunged. Or they may have convictions for what would have been two misdemeanors and one felony if had been an adult when they committed the offense. (Mich. Comp. Laws § 712A.18e.)*

*Learn more about these rules by reading Michigan’s juvenile records expungement factsheet

Situations that Disqualify You from Sealing Your Juvenile Records

The court system will not clear a juvenile record if any of the following conditions occur. 

  • Your record includes adjudication for murder
  • You have been convicted as an adult of a misdemeanor connected to moral turpitude or a felony
  • You have a pending case of an adult felony or misdemeanor
  • You have not paid restitution

How to Get Your Juvenile Record Sealed

You will need to do the following to begin the process of sealing your juvenile record.

  • File a Petition - You will need to file an official petition for the court where the offense occurred. This process may be confusing - be sure to get it right by having an experienced attorney review the petition with you. 
  • Pay a Fee - You will typically need to pay a fee associated with the process. 

Get Help Expunging Your Juvenile Record

Having a legal professional on your side can help smooth and even speed up the process of having your juvenile records expunged. The experienced attorneys at Aldrich Legal Services have been helping Michigan residents with the legal representation they need for over 21 years. We can lend you our years of experience and legal expertise to help you start over again without the mistakes of your youth preventing you from being successful. 

Give the team at Aldrich Legal Services a call today to talk through your legal options. 

Choosing the right executor for an estate

Originally posted on 05/28/2017 When people are thinking about planning their estate, they often think about trying to minimize the estate tax, keeping their will updated, and keeping items out of probate court; however, there is another...

Understanding how the Miranda warning works

Originally posted on 11/25/2016 Michigan residents who have seen television police shows or movies involving law enforcement have no doubt watched many dramatic scenes with officers quoting something to the effect of, "You have the...

PROBATE 42: Dissolution of professional corporation.

This case involves the estate of a doctor whose professional corporation also had to be dissolved upon his death. The personal representative of the estate sold the company’s assets but did not pay off the company’s debts before transferring the proceeds to the estate and distributing them to the heirs.

A basic introduction to wills

Originally posted on 10/31/2016 It can be difficult to consider the end of our lives when we are in good health. However, lives can change at any moment, so it is wise to be prepared for any situation that may arise. Despite the many...

REAL ESTATE 73: Quiet title action.

This case involves a dispute over real property located in Michigan. W and V who are D’s parents, acquired the property. In 1999, W and V conveyed the property to the Trust, to which W is the sole trustee, via a quit claim deed. At some point...

How Is Alimony Determined In A Michigan Divorce?

Originally posted on 06/22/2018. When filing for divorce in Michigan, you may seek alimony, spousal support, from their spouse whenever they require financial aid. A judge may order your spouse to pay certain alimony. However, it depends...

Is My Conviction Eligible for Expungement?

Originally posted on 10/11/2019. At one point or another, we have all made mistakes. For some people, those mistakes involved breaking the law. Convictions have a large impact on someone’s life. Beyond the sentencing ranging from...

PROBATE 45: The court held that the probate court did not err by granting summary disposition for Plaintiff, or by denying Defendant’s request for an extension of the discovery period, adjournment of mediation, and issuance of subpoenas and by dismi

This case arises out of competing petitions for probate. On November 19, 2018, Defendant initiated this case by filing a petition for probate, attaching Decedent’s death certificate and purported last will and testament, dated March 9, 2007,...

DIVORCE 57: Holding that the trial court’s factual findings were not supported by the record evidence, and thus could not stand, the court reversed, vacated the portion of the Amended Default JOD ordering defendant to pay $3,325 to plaintiff, and re

Plaintiff first testified that she and defendant purchased the marital home in 1995. At the time the first default judgment of divorce was entered in September 2017, plaintiff had the home appraised. The value of the home was determined to be...

FAMILY LAW 68: The court held that the satisfaction of the statute relating to the termination of parental rights does not necessarily provide clear and convincing evidence in a parenting time dispute that a child will be harmed by reintroduction to

In a separate case, defendant’s parents filed a petition to terminate plaintiff’s parental rights and adopt RM on the ground that plaintiff had been absent from RM’s life for over three years. One month before the petition was...

FAMILY LAW 66: The court affirmed the trial court’s retroactive child support modification as to the second credit to which plaintiff-mother admitted at the referee hearing, and reversed and remanded as to the trial court’s equitable abatement of th

The parties have two children in common, and both children are now adults. The parties were never married, but plaintiff was granted custody and defendant was ordered to pay child support. After the youngest child turned eighteen, defendant sought a...

FAMILY LAW 65: The court held that because the ECE was not altered by the change of school districts, the referee properly applied the preponderance of the evidence standard when reviewing the best interest and parenting time factors.

BASIC FACTS The parties divorced in 2018. Their judgment of divorce provided that plaintiff would have primary physical custody and that the parties would have joint legal custody of the two minor children. The judgment of divorce stated that the...

FAMILY LAW 64: The court reversed the trial court’s order granting joint physical and legal custody of the parties’ children to defendant-father, concluding that the trial court improperly conflated his motion to change custody with plaintiff-mother

The parties divorced in 2013. The judgment of divorce granted mother sole physical and legal custody and ordered that the child’s domicile would remain in Michigan. In 2015, the trial court granted mother’s motion to change domicile,...

Don't let a bad decision, unfair contract, or a messy divorce get in the way of a promising future!
Contact the experienced team at Aldrich Legal Services today to schedule your free initial
and secure reliable and trustworthy representation today!
Get the Help You Need From a Team You Can Truly Count On: (734) 404-3000